Afterlife forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What keeps me away from Afterlife (forcefully)

3 posters

Go down

What keeps me away from Afterlife (forcefully) Empty What keeps me away from Afterlife (forcefully)

Post by S0ul Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:38 pm

So, most of you now know I (started to) code for Afterlife, and that I've been away for a couple of days, due to finals.

However, I've gotten permission from my masters thesis orientator? (not sure if its called that in the US) to reveal the other reason.

I'm taking a masters in Game Development, and along with my thesis I have to make a practical application of it (in a nutshell). My thesis is about how user-created tools (can) improve a game, either from a point of view of player enjoyability, or plainly just being things that should have been in the game to begin with. This includes mods, add-ons, private servers, and so on.

To prove this point, my thesis project is a multi-platform library and application for Runescape. The idea is to provide a toolkit for users to create their own applications, whilst providing my own as source of inspiration (example).

Being a slayer at heart Razz, the application (and first toolkit) is centered around it. Over-simplifying it, it gets you what you can expect to gain from a task, in exp, gp and charms. It's almost complete (the library) and all I need to do is add data to it (for all tasks in game, ugh.).

This is where the app's source code is

If you have any source of coding background (*nudges Jay*) you can easily see whats done there and how it works.

I will update you guys with more info once I get a running application (need to finish data input).

Why reveal this here? Well, just as this application can be used for Runescape, it can also be used for Afterlife (with only minor modifications - updating item price, and not updating the item prices from RS GE).

Does this mean I will stop coding here? No. I've had to do this regardless, and coding for Afterlife has been a goal for me since '09. However, this takes precedence (its my bloody master's project), but I'll still be coding here (I don't have a strict deadline, but aiming to the end of the summer//end of the year to finish it) and performing my Chief Tester responsabilities. What has kept me actually away were the finals, but ill be done with them Thursday.

Just wanted to share this because I thought you should know what has been keeping me away for awhile, and, if possible, to get some feedback Wink

Sorry for the long post Rolling Eyes

S0ul
Chief Tester
Chief Tester

Rep : 1

Back to top Go down

What keeps me away from Afterlife (forcefully) Empty Re: What keeps me away from Afterlife (forcefully)

Post by hollynye Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:04 am

well gl with everything and cant wait to see what u have instore for us.
hollynye
hollynye

Rep : 4

Back to top Go down

What keeps me away from Afterlife (forcefully) Empty Re: What keeps me away from Afterlife (forcefully)

Post by rebel Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:29 am

Good luck with the project, sure you'll knock it out of the park, game will be here when you get to it,
(now if next day or two, you get on here and say your going to the moon, well..............lol)
rebel
rebel

Rep : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by S0ul Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:17 am

Ill still be coding here mostly every day tho haha

S0ul
Chief Tester
Chief Tester

Rep : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum